Ghandruk is one of the most visited destinations. Ghandruk is a beautiful and traditional village that is located in the Kaski district in the Annapurna Region. It is the oldest village in the Annapurna Region. It provides stunning mountains like Annapurna South, Himchuli, Gangapurna, and Macchhapuchhre. Ghandruk is home to the Gurung community which is known for its culture, tradition, and hospitality. The village is two thousand meters above sea level.
It is also a popular destination for travelers and a gateway to many trekking destinations like Annapurna Base Camp, Poonhill, and Khora. Hiking to Ghandruk village is an easy and exciting trek. This is also popular for its handicraft like Gurung dresses, woolen blankets, and carpets. It is a must-visit place for anyone looking for natural beauty.
The Gurung also known as Gurkhas fought in the second world war. To know more about Gurung culture, religion, and festivals there is Gurung Museum to visit. It only takes 3 hours to reach Ghandruk from Pokhara by jeep or bus, you also hike to Ghandruk. There are many places like Nayapul, Dhampus, and Birethanti.
- The place offers stunning mountains like Annapurna South, Himchuli, Gangapurna, and Macchhapuchhre.
- Ghandruk is home to the Gurung community which is known for its culture, tradition, and hospitality. Visitors get a chance to experience the lifestyle of the Gurung people and their traditions and culture.
- One of the popular destinations for trekkers. It is the gateway to the trekking line Annapurna Base Camp, Ghorepani Poonhill, and Khopra.
Annapurna Region Permit
- Trekking Information Management System Card (TIMS)
- Annapurna Conservation Area Permit (ACAP) entry permit.
Best time to visit Ghandruk
The best season is the autumn season which falls from September to November. During this season the skies will be clear and stable. The peak is also clearly visible and days are comfortable to hike. Mostly in the Autumn season, they are a high number of visitors in the Annapurna Region.
Spring is the best season which falls from March to May. In this season hills are covered in rhododendron flowers, skies will be hazy and you expect light rainfall.
How to get there
You can take a local bus or jeep from Baglung Bus Park. You can hike to Ghandruk from Nayapul, Birethanti, or Dhampus. In monsoon season the road may be washed by a landslide and visiting in monsoon can be risky.
What to do in Ghandruk
- It is the gateway to different trekking destinations like Ghorepani Poonhill,
- Khopra and Annapurna Base Camp
- We will get the chance to experience Gurung traditional, culture and learn about their customs and belief.
- To know more about the tradition, culture, and lifestyle of the Gurung Community you can visit Gurung Museum.
In Ghandruk we can find a lot of accommodation that offers you an attached bathroom, wifi, and a hot shower. There is a restaurant in Ghandruk that provide Nepalese, Gurung, and Indian food.